Thursday, March 11, 2010

wet felting balls

This Bun is a little bit worse for wear this week (but just a little!).  I have juggled tutoring, with data collection, meetings, editing my thesis and teaching training and it feels like I have managed to cram three full-time workloads into the one week.  But please keep your condolences!  I’ve also been feeling exuberant for the opportunity to get out of the house, the exercise and sensory delight of walking through the leafy cobblestone trails of my campus, and the scintillating company of my colleagues and students.

I had a meeting with my supervisors yesterday to receive some feedback for the last piece of work I sent them.  As always, my supervisors were extremely constructive, although honest about the fact that my first draft needed more work, yet they continually praised me for what I did right and assured me that some imperfection and uncertainty is definitely to be expected so that I didn’t walk away feeling discouraged.  Despite this, I have accepted the truth that supervisory meetings are more often than not, very overwhelming for me.  No matter the feedback, you walk away from any (good) meeting with a full plate of work, even if your supervisors gave you detailed and valuable information and guidance to complete them, you’re reminded that you’re treading the deep waters of a PhD.

I have decided that from now on after all my supervisory meetings, my schedule remains clear for me to return home to a hot shower, a cup of tea and a leisurely evening spent watching comedies (I have developed a new addiction to The Colbert Report).

In the morning, I also picked up the felting kit I ordered from Etsy from the post office, but was crushed to find that the seller had forgotten to pack felting needles.  Luckily, she separately mailed them out to me today, and in the meantime I had some fun making wet felted balls for acorns and toys for Salmon!
Although it requires a lot more elbow grease than it looks and my fingers got all pruny after 40 minutes of rolling a wet wad of wool around in my hands (renewed respect for felters!), it was so much fun!  I think I have found my favourite craft.

To make these, all you need is:
  • Wool roving, tear into small tufts
  • Dishwashing detergent (or soap will do)
  • Bowl of hot water
  • Bowl of cold water (optional)
  • Tea towel
Begin by taking a small tuft of roving, drizzle hot water over it and very gently, begin rolling it in your hands until it starts to form a puffy ball.  Gently tease apart your tufts of wool roving so that they become more like thin sheets and wrap around your loose ball.  Squeeze a small drop of detergent on your hand and keep rolling the ball until it is covered in detergent and begins to lather.  Every now and then, drizzle hot water onto your ball, and keep rolling.  It’s the combination of the hot water, detergent and your rolling that makes wool fibres ‘lock’ together.  Your ball should start to feel more solid and you’ll find you can apply more pressure without crushing it.  Keep wrapping it in sheets of wool until you get the size you want.  Some people recommend dunking or drizzling your ball in cold water to ‘shock’ it and hasten the felting process.  I did find it helps, but it's not necessary.  When you are satisfied with the size, shape and firmness of your felted balls, rinse any excess soap off with water and rest on your tea towel.  Leave in a sunny spot (away from curious cats) to dry.

I found it was very important to begin very gently and gradually build up even pressure, otherwise you get cracks in the ball.  After making 2-3 balls, you will find your bowls water get very soap, after which you don’t even have to add detergent to your balls for them to felt.

I collected some acorn caps last week from a grand oak tree on my campus.  I’ve never noticed the tree before as it’s on my ‘scenic’ route and I used to always be in such a rush to get from one class to another.  I gathered a small handful of caps in my glasses case so they wouldn’t get crushed in my bag, and rinsed them in my leftover bowl of hot soapy water from felting the balls to clean off dirt.  I'll be hot-gluing them to the balls in time for the Autumn Equinox.

I definitely recommend this very tactile and therapeutic craft for anyone, perhaps we can learn together?

6 comments:

Dan's Mum said...

It is great, isn't is? I've also just discovered the joy of wet felting.

I love your blog :)

Helena said...

Thank you so much for visiting and the kind words of encouragement!

I hope you may blog some of your progress with felting as well if you haven't already? I would love to follow along!

nocton4 said...

lovely post xx

Helena said...

Thank you! And welcome to my blog!

Cary said...

i always needle felt mine... but perhaps wet felting them lets you do more at once? plus, you don;t stab your fingers!

Helena said...

Hehe, hi Carrie, it definitely would help with the smaller objects. My first choice would have probably been to needle felt mine as well. I love the sound the needle makes when it hits the board and it looks like great stress-relief! Unfortunately, my needles were forgotten by the person I purchased the felting kit from, and as I live halfway around the world in Australia, I know I will be waiting at least a week and a half for the replacements, but I just couldn't wait to get started!

Once I get my needles, I'm definitely curious to try making felt acorns dry.

Post a Comment

I appreciate you taking the time to leave a comment. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask. Check back for responses as I will often respond here.
Thank you for taking the time to visit About a Bun and I hope you enjoyed your stay!

Related Posts with Thumbnails