Thursday, June 17, 2010

swaps and trades


This week, an interview with me has been published on the Folk Reveries Etsy team blog. One of the questions asked was what my favourite thing about selling on Etsy is and I passionately proclaimed my love for trades. When I first opened a jewellery store on Etsy last year, the idea of trading seemed very foreign to me. Admittedly, I was selling quite well and I was reluctant to give away something, especially when it was one-of-a-kind and I was confident that it could be sold. Although I didn’t intend to do any trading, there were two people whose offers I could not resist—Andrea, and Kari of Clementiny Clothing. Months after closing down my store, the drawing I traded with Andrea continues to be displayed proudly on my bookshelf and the custom dress Kar made for me, with fabric I picked out myself, remains one of my favourite pieces to wear. My surprisingly touching experiences have proven that there are numerous sources of wealth and that of friendship is far more valuable to me than monetary profit. I also found myself with some leftover stock that cluttered my workspace for weeks and every time I looked at them, I was overwhelmed with the regret that I didn’t just give them away. (By the way, I did find the opportunity to give them all away to a wonderful bookbinder!)



I was thrilled to receive three parcels in the mail this week from trades with new friends. The first to arrive was a charming fluffy sage headband from Tianna of Tetrik. Tianna contacted me a few weeks ago as we’re both members of Indie Free Spirits. At 20, the elegance of her accessories and jewellery pieces and her masterful use of colour is still years beyond the work I’ve seen of people twice her age. I was immediately captivated when I saw her headband; the soft, cool greens emanate calm and serenity. Despite being such a talented designer, she is so down-to-earth and I feel really humbled she agreed to trade with me.


Even though Tianna packed the headband securely in a padded envelope, I was horrified when the vintage glass beads scattered out of the parcel as well. Unfortunately, the smaller beads on the focal component had come undone on the journey but they were otherwise intact. With a brass headpin and my pliers, I managed to get them back on and the lovely headband was salvaged!


After my bleak day yesterday, coming home to find Di’s letter in my mailbox was a burst of sunshine so bright it was almost tangible. She found me through Folk Reveries and wrote me the nicest email. As a half-rabbit and half-unicorn, she totally gets me and we hit it off straight away. She made for me a trio of whimsical feather creations, including a pair of earrings, a headband, and a necklace. Each has a distinct and unique style that I can see myself rocking for different occasions--the earrings would be so cool for a party or concert, the black feather necklace that looks like it just floats on the collarbone would look breathtaking with a black dress at a formal event, and the exquisite headband, well, I would wear that just about anywhere.  The Cat said it looked totally flapper, which made me smile.  You can find her creations at Dear Oh Deer.


One day, I hope to own one of her paintings.  There is just something so enigmatic about Untitled Moon I.

In the letter that accompanied her package, she brought up the question of why these connections don’t happen more often and I wonder the same thing.

3 comments:

Dianne said...

Aw! A little tear in my eye. Thank you for the lovely words mon petite! Glad you like your parcel.

Its true though - a long time ago when the internet was still a new and exciting concept [I type this while I lean on my walking stick] making friends was such a big part of it, I wouldn't have moved across the world if I hadn't made friends through bands message boards [I refuse to list which bands] and then go on to spend many happy hours sending post to these people - I guess the world has just moved past the physical communication age. Sad times.

I still smell like orange cookie unicorns, by the way. xx

Unknown said...

wonderful wonderful wonderful!

Fiona said...

How wonderful it must be to be able to adorn your home and yourself with lots of beautiful artwork and handmade delights from distant friends. The feather jewellery is strikingly beautiful. I am quite envious!

Post a Comment

I appreciate you taking the time to leave a comment. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask. Check back for responses as I will often respond here.
Thank you for taking the time to visit About a Bun and I hope you enjoyed your stay!

Related Posts with Thumbnails