Thursday, April 8, 2010

there's something about felting

Those of you who knew me before I began this blog would know that my first craft was making jewellery and that I even had a brief stint selling my handmade jewellery on Etsy last July. The crocus necklace pictured on the right is one of my personal favourites, featuring antiqued brass and Czech glass beads in garnet.

My jewellery making hobby was always a little conflicted. I really don’t wear a lot of jewellery myself, but when I do, I’m drawn to elaborate and unusual designs like this necklace I made four years ago that converts to a bracelet, or this beaded choker featuring tiny framed illustrations from Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland and Lewis Carroll’s self-portraits I made one of my past Mad Hatter’s Tea Party themed birthdays. However, it was not easy for me to learn to accommodate for more tastefully restrained styles, and even when I tried, I just didn’t have as much fun with making jewellery.



Since I have picked up wet and needle felting in the last month, I feel as though I have found my calling.

Felting supplies are simple and affordable, while the beads, charms, components, findings and tools required in jewellery making are mind-boggling. Each of those categories also comprises an almost infinite range of sizes, colours, and materials. All my needle and wet felted projects come from wool roving, which differs most importantly by coarseness and colour. The latter can even be customised with hand dyeing.

If you wanted to move into metal smithing (welding your own metals) or lampworking (making your own glass beads), the space, equipment and resources needed for them will set you back several hundred dollars at least. I stuck with cold working, which meant I only ever worked with stringing bought beads on to silver, brass or copper wire, and even then I spent a couple of hundred dollars every month on supplies. All my tools and equipment for both wet and needle felting have not yet set me over $50 and $100 worth of wool will keep me in good stead for a long time.

Second only to those cotton/hemp friendship bracelets you learn to make in primary school, cold working is the easiest jewellery making technique to learn, and hence also the least skilful and unique. In my experience, jewellery makers, particularly cold workers, are very secretive about their suppliers. Finding cheap supplies is sometimes the only way we can compete with each other, but if someone else discovers where you purchased that antiqued brass crocus charm, there is virtually nothing preventing them from making the same piece as yours. I love that there is no deception to felting. Everything you see is wool and a lot of love, patience and elbow grease. Although I’m sure felters can still try to replicate another’s designs, it’s not as easy as buying the same beads and charms and stringing them together. You still need to build something from scratch and it will never really be the same as the original. Each creation is imbued with the soul of its creator.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

oh helena, i so love your new craft endeavor as well as this blog! it's so lovely and i kept meaning to message you back about faunfare. i love the name and thought you might want to make it your little 'emporium' of all the lovely things you create (felted goods, jewelry, perfumed potions, etc). you are so very talented my friend!

softearthart said...

Hi, I love needle felting, its warmth and softness are very soothing to the brain, I can see how you love it. "Happy wool creations" cheers Marie

Helena said...

Andrea--thank you so much!! I'm waiting on a huge order of wool to needle felt an opening line of fauns, satyrs, merpeople, toadstools, and anything else I can think of before then! I have been having a lot of fun planning it before I launch and I hope that when I do, it will be worthy of being a part of your lovely team, Folk Reveries.

Marie--it's so nice to meet another felter who can understand the appeal of this magical craft. I can feel my stress levels decrease when I only look at one of your artworks, I can only imagine how peaceful and tranquil it would be for you in creating them.

Amanda said...

I also love working with wool. I find with felting (the way I do it) I can't have too much control over the final product. Sometimes it works out to be what I set out to make, and others not. Sometimes its better than my original vision, and others... I just have to walk away and come back later. I understand what you mean about not being able to fully recreate another artists work. Your work will bring out something from your soul. That's how I see it anyways!

Helena said...

Thanks, Amanda, we are definitely on the same page! Definitely no two felted creations can be exactly the same. Take needle felted toadstools for example... I see them absolutely everywhere, yet each felter has a different spin on the shape, size, proportions, colours, etc. That's why I get such a thrill from admiring the work of other felters; I feel I get a unique insight into who they are.

Post a Comment

I appreciate you taking the time to leave a comment. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask. Check back for responses as I will often respond here.
Thank you for taking the time to visit About a Bun and I hope you enjoyed your stay!

Related Posts with Thumbnails