Tuesday, July 13, 2010

boring trip details to amsterdam

I began this journey log as I chillaxed in my seat listening to Katie Noonan & the Captains from the entertainment system. It's unfathomable to me that there's only an hour and a half to landing, this has been by far the most comfortable flight I have ever been on. I passed the time by watching the great choices of videos, including at last being able to see Tim Burton's Alice.
I was a little more apprehensive about the next 14hr leg of the journey to Amsterdam. Armed with some good advice, I found a spa where I was able to pay a small fee to use the shower. For 10 Singaporean dollars, you're provided access to a private bathroom with one of those rain shower heads and a small lounge area with hairdryers and snacks. It was the best way to spend two hours in transit at midnight.
When I got on the plane to Amsterdam, I discovered to my immense joy the plane was only about a third full. I had the entire row beside the window to myself and quickly learnt from my neighbors that the best way to enjoy it was to put the armrests up and lie down across the whole row like a bed! I even built myself a fairly cosy nest from the two extra blankets and pillows I had.
I felt so spoiled when I woke up at 2am (it was 10am Aussie time so that can't be helped) and bundled myself up in all the blankets while nostalgically watching Blue's Clues and Hey Arnold! on my entertainment system.
It was really coincidental but I bumped into a colleague who is sharing my flights to and from Singapore for a conference in Vienna on at the same time and when I sadly had to say goodbye to her and got on the plane to Amsterdam, another colleague who is attending the same conference as I waved me down as she caught me strolling through the aisle!
I'm going to pick up a sim card with Internet access when I touch down in about an hour and I'll be uploading this entry. As promised, I have been collecting small video clips when I could to try editing and publishing when I get back to Sydney but I didn't get too many opportunities to talk because I was often pressed for time or surrounded by tired people I didn't want to disturb. I promise to be more adventurous in Amsterdam!

3 comments:

Dianne said...

BLUES CLUES! HEY ARNOLD!

Fiona said...

You are so lucky to have a row of empty seats for such a long flight! I am so envious. My flight back to Sydney was booked with a friend, meaning I've forfeited all my chances at a row of empty seats. Aw shucks.

I hope you're having a fantastic time at a conference, and if not that, enjoying the good food at the very least :).

Narcissiliality said...

Whee, a video post to look forward to, I can imagine it's very exciting considering you crossed oceans to make it!

How was Alice in Wonderland by the way?

I like that you've been posting up random pictures of your trip - I can't believe you managed to capture one of a sleeping conference attendee without anyone giving you a strange look!

Post a Comment

I appreciate you taking the time to leave a comment. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask. Check back for responses as I will often respond here.
Thank you for taking the time to visit About a Bun and I hope you enjoyed your stay!

Related Posts with Thumbnails